New Florida residents are not required to take the tests associated with obtaining a Florida driver's license if they have a valid out-of-state license. However, the Florida department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles no longer accepts out-of-state licenses or ID's as primary identification, which means that new residents will have to provide alternative forms of ID.

Basic Requirements

Before a Florida license can be issued, drivers will need to submit:

  • (1) Primary Form of Identification
  • (1) Proof of Social Security Number
  • (2) Proofs of Residential Address

Valid out-of-state license will be accepted to reciprocate for driver license exams, unless there is a concern that they won't be able to safely drive a vehicle. All drivers will be required to take the vision test and pass with a 20/40 or better in both eyes, with or without corrective lenses.

Identity Theft

The Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles requires that any person wishing to obtain a license present the required documentation. The stringent requirements for which documentation is acceptable help ensure that driver's licenses will not be issued to individuals that are not eligible to receive one. Learn more about the efforts that the FLHSMV has enacted to prevent against identity theft and driver license fraud.

Primary Form of Identification

Choose 1

  • Certified United States Birth Certificate
  • Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561

Proof of Social Security Number

Choose 1

  • Social Security Card
  • W-2 Form (Not Handwritten)
  • Pay Check/Pay Stub
  • SSA-1099

Proofs of Residential Address

Choose 2

  • Deed, Morgage, Residential Rental/Lease
  • Florida Voter Registration Card
  • Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
  • Florida Boat Registration or Title
  • A statement from a parent, legal guardian, or other person with whom the applicant resides, combined with two proofs of their residential address
  • Selective Service Card
  • Utility Bills (not more than two months old)
  • Mail from financial institutions
  • Mail from federal, state, county or city government agencies
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or half-way house verifying that they receive mail from the customer accompanied by a Certification of Address Form.